Friday, January 14, 2011

Nu Yawk Nu Yawk

Holy Moley! What an amazing way to set off the new year!

Last week I traveled down to New York City with my main man Andrew.
I know it's something that's said by everyone who travels there, but it really is such an amazing city. I'm still on a bit of a high from the trip. The scale of the everything is what gets to me. Not only in the sense of size, but it's just such a huge place with so much room, you want to try and fill it with all your ambitions. And you can never out grow it either.  I think that's what leaves me with this great feeling...that and all the food, art, people, drinks, culture, etc.

This was the first time I'd been able to travel to NYC for work as well as for pleasure, which was a fantastic change of pace.

We were in town for the Society of Illustrators 53: Sequential and Uncommissioned Award gala, where I received a Silver Medal for my '&' piece.

I said it that night (in a very haphazard non-Denzel Washington style speech), but I just wanted to say it again here...to be recognized for an award is incredible. But to be recognized for an award by my peers, is truly an honour. Thank you so much to the Society, the jury, and to all my fellow exhibitors. It was really humbling to have my work be apart of such an amazing show.

Here are some photos from our trip:





I hear he's a really 'sweet' guy...



High life on the High-line





Do U Niq Lo?
Not to get into this too much, but this place is seriously overwhelming we had to make two trips.



We were lucky enough to be able to visit the New Marvel head offices and grab lunch my AMAZING editors Jeanine and Jody. This really is the place where dreams come true! 

The wise and talented Victo Ngai...always the picture of grace and poise.

One of our lovely servers, Courtney, who spent the entire night tempting us with tasty treats.

A great time was had by all! We got to meet up with Martin, who also took home a very well deserved Silver Medal that night.





We spent out last day in NYC visiting Marty's studio in Brooklyn before heading out to his opening in Chelsea, and then onto the rest of the evenings 'frivolities'.

Thanks again to Martin, Billy, Matt, Jeanine, Jody and everyone who showed us so much hospitality through out our trip! And a HUGE thank you to Andrew for being just the raddest. You're a Prince, bro!

I'll post up the rest of the photos from the trip on my flickr in the next couple of days.

Thanks New York, we'll see you soon.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

can we change your middle name to celebrity yet>

Anthony Holden said...

Congrats on your award, and glad to hear you had some fun on your trip too!
Great photos.

Rachelle said...

Wow. Holy hell, Nimit. I had no idea.

Congratulations. Well deserved. :)

Hope you + Andrew had the best time in NYC.

Victo Ngai said...

Hehehehe I love your write-up of me~grace,poise, wise... Hope to see you again soon!

Rafael Sarmento said...

Hope I'll be able to "live the dream" myself someday man, so glad that you're going this well!