Friday, May 15, 2009

The beginnings...

I can't wait till I get my new computer...I mean I love my PC to death, we've been through some solid times together--But these days the ol girl is just taking too long to do everything, it took me an hour to prep this blog post, just cause each photo took 2 minutes load in photoshop....le sigh. I digress...

For my narrative this year, I sort of embarked on a 'Journaling quest' (I like quests...they sound epic!)... I started with the thought of writing a story about a character, journaling through their eyes- their feelings, experiences, memories, etc. It was gonna be some pretty cool stuff, I wanted to make it like you would read through this persons life chronologically, but just like people get flashes of nostalgia and recurring feelings and experiences, I wanted the reader to experience these things as well, with stained pages seeping through recurring imagery. I pitched this idea to Clemente, and he said "..alright...let's go to work." So it was a lot of journaling after that.

So after our first major crit, we came to the conclusion that there's no way to do this story justice in half a semester...so I went back to work and came up with a distilled version of it...more like a loose zine. Clemente joked around that it had lyrical stylings of a pop song...


Here's what I came up with for it...the images below are void of the text, I kind of just wanted them to be stand alone. But I included the 'lyrics' below each image.

Start slowly and speak from the heart.
I learned to speak slowly when talking about matters of the heart
This is what I think my heart looks like...
This is what my heart feels like.
Does the world around me shape my view...
Or is it my world view that shapes the world around
Most things start off slow...taking shape as they go.
Start from the heart and speak slowly.

I'm happy with where it went, it was really fun to make it, almost like a childish freedom. It really got my inspiration up and I plan on making more in zine form! ...By no means is it what I intended but its a beginning.

Thanks for stopping by!

PS. Sorry for the dark photos...night time blogging.

PPS. Here's a link to some photos from the opening night of 'Waking Aurora'! Thanks Tina!

8 comments:

Bryce Huffman said...

This looks awesome Nimit. It sucks I didn't see it at school... you'll have to give me a private screening when I visit. Why did that sound kinda gross/weird?

Yuta Onoda said...

Great stuff Nim!
Grrrrreeeeaaattt WOOOORRRK!!

Nimit Malavia said...

Thanks guys!
That was a little gross/weird, Bryce...but i'm okay with it.

I miss you guys!

a n n i e said...

love it!
personally, i like writing something personal and draw about it, so your great work is added (again) to my favourite list <3

lindak said...

i love the 4th image of the abstract shapes/colors. how big is it?

thanks for your comment! it's great to be in a show with artists from so many different cities/countries. looking forward to seeing more of your work

linda

jean fhilippe said...

Amazing work man, very very inspiring. I really loved the sketchbook compilation though, so rich!
Best wishes for the pc, I am sorry to here about it's ending relationship.
always come here for some inspiration! :]

Nimit Malavia said...

thanks for the kind words guys!
*I apologize, i'm responding twitter style :(
@lindak - That piece is actually pretty small, probably about 7" x 10". I'm pretty jacked to see your new pieces for the Black Maria show!!

@Jean Fhillipe- Thanks so much man! I appreciate it, your sketchbook is pretty stellar, very inspiring!

@ annie- <3 !!

erika danusasmita said...

i love your zine,nimit! looks great:)